Beginner's Marathon

For students of class 6-8 (age 12 to 14)
Arko Roy
Re: Beginner's Marathon

Unread post by Arko Roy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Mod note: This solution is wrong. See below for correct solution.
Let we are having 3 points, A1, A2, A3. The broken line would be (A1)(A2)(A3). Since there are 2 lines with common vertex A2, so intersection phenomenon is impossible. But if we have 4 points & create a crossed(*) quadrilateral, there would be an intersection between 2 opposite sides of the quadrilateral. So maximum value of n is 3

(*)in জ্যামিতির ২য় পাঠ, there's mentioned that quadrilateral are of 3 types and one of them is crossed, where 2 opposite sides intersects.

Absur Khan Siam

Unread post by Absur Khan Siam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Problem$\boxed{6}$
Let $ABC$ be an acute triangle. The lines $l_1$ and $l_2$ are perpendicular to $AB$ at the points $A$ and
$B$, respectively. The perpendicular lines from the midpoint $M$ of $AB$ to the lines $AC$ and $BC$
intersect $l_1$ and $l_2$ at the points $E$ and $F$, respectively. If $D$ is the intersection point of the lines
$EF$ and $MC$, prove that
$\angle ADB = \angle EMF$
"(To Ptolemy I) There is no 'royal road' to geometry." - Euclid

Thamim Zahin

Unread post by Thamim Zahin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Mod Note: This solution is incorrect. See below for correct solution.
Arko Roy wrote:Let we are having 3 points, A1, A2, A3. The broken line would be (A1)(A2)(A3). Since there are 2 lines with common vertex A2, so intersection phenomenon is impossible. But if we have 4 points & create a crossed(*) quadrilateral, there would be an intersection between 2 opposite sides of the quadrilateral. So maximum value of n is 3

(*)in জ্যামিতির ২য় পাঠ, there's mentioned that quadrilateral are of 3 types and one of them is crossed, where 2 opposite sides intersects.

Wrong solution. Correct solution :

First we can say that,

if we choose $5$ points(or more) in plane with no three are collinear,
there is a such $4$ points this points are vertices of a convex quadrilateral.

and in quadrangle diognals are intersect

so that $n=4$ is maximal. If we choose 4 points such that this points are vertices of a concave quadrilateral, this is ok.
I think we judge talent wrong. What do we see as talent? I think I have made the same mistake myself. We judge talent by the trophies on their showcases, the flamboyance the supremacy. We don't see things like determination, courage, discipline, temperament.

ahmedittihad

Unread post by ahmedittihad » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:06 am

Thamim Zahin wrote:
Arko Roy wrote:Let we are having 3 points, A1, A2, A3. The broken line would be (A1)(A2)(A3). Since there are 2 lines with common vertex A2, so intersection phenomenon is impossible. But if we have 4 points & create a crossed(*) quadrilateral, there would be an intersection between 2 opposite sides of the quadrilateral. So maximum value of n is 3

First we can say that,

so that $n=4$ is maximal. If we choose 4 points such that this points are vertices of a concave quadrilateral, this is ok.
Thamim, you need to prove the lemma that any 5 points must habe atleast one convex quadrilateral.
Hint of the proof, think about convex hulls.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Epshita32

Unread post by Epshita32 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:48 am

ahmedittihad wrote:
Thamim Zahin wrote:

First we can say that,

Thamim, you need to prove the lemma that any 5 points must habe atleast one convex quadrilateral.
Hint of the proof, think about convex hulls.
Suppose we have 5 points - A, B, C, D, E. Here, we can take D inside the triangle ABC. But then there is nowhere to put E. If it is in 1, then ABDE is self-intersecting. Similarly, in 2, ACDE is self-intersecting In 3, BCDE is self-intersecting. In 4, ADCE is self intersecting and so on.

So any 5 points must have at least one convex quadrilateral. Then when one takes the arrangement making it a cross quadrilateral, the broken line will intersect.

Edit: Cause if we take any 4 points, their convex hull must be a triangle. i.e. Construction for four points: Take the vertices of a triangle and any point in its interior. None of the six possible line segments intersect, so any possible broken line does not intersect itself.

Note: The convex hull is the smallest convex polygon containing all the points. Think of it as a fence which surrounds all the points.

Mod Note: Added some clarification. All corrections are in this color.
Last edited by Zawadx on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Hiding comments + Explanatory Note

Thamim Zahin

Unread post by Thamim Zahin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

I am seeing P7, but nobody solved P6. And one more thing, does everyone hate Number Theory or Algebra? I am not seeing any of this. And i am asking @Zawadx, can i post ineq and FE?
I think we judge talent wrong. What do we see as talent? I think I have made the same mistake myself. We judge talent by the trophies on their showcases, the flamboyance the supremacy. We don't see things like determination, courage, discipline, temperament.

Zawadx

Unread post by Zawadx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Deleted P7 as P6 hasn't yet been solved. Feel free to repost it after a solution has been posted for P6.
Thamim Zahin wrote:I am seeing P7, but nobody solved P6. And one more thing, does everyone hate Number Theory or Algebra? I am not seeing any of this. And i am asking @Zawadx, can i post ineq and FE?
This thread is aimed at beginners, so no you may not post ineq or FE

M Ahsan Al Mahir

Unread post by M Ahsan Al Mahir » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Solution to P6:

Let $ME$ meet $AC$ at $X$, $MF$ meet $AB$ at $Y$.
Let the circumcircles of $\triangle CEX$, $\triangle CFY$ meet at $T$. $\angle FYC = \angle FTC = \angle ETC = \angle EXC = 90$. So $E, F, T$ are colliner. As $MX \cdot ME = MA^2 = MB^2 = MY \cdot MF$, $M$ lies on the radical axis of $\odot CFY$ & $\odot CEX$. So $C, T, M$ are collinear.
Let $H$ be the orthocenter of $\triangle ABC$. Let $BH$ meet $EF$ at $H'$. So, $\angle BH'F = \angle MET = \angle MAT$. So $\square ATH'B$ is cyclic. If we let $AH$ meet $EF$ at $H''$ , we can similarly show that $ATH''B$ is cyclic. Which leads us to the conclusion that $H' = H'' = H$. So, $\angle ATB = \angle AHB = \angle FME$. (As $AH \parallel MF$ and $BH \parallel ME$). So we're done.

Epshita32

Unread post by Epshita32 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 am

$\text{Problem } 7$

There are 2000 points on a circle and each point is given a number which is equal to the average of the two numbers which are its nearest neighbors. Show that all the numbers must be equal.

Thamim Zahin

Unread post by Thamim Zahin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:33 am

$\text{Solution to Problem 7}$

Name all number $a_1,a_2 \cdots a_{2000}$. Where a_i is neighbour to $a_{i-1}$ and $a_{i+1}$.

Lets thing all of them aren't equal. In that case we will have $a_i \not = a_{i+2}$.

WLOG, take $a_i>a_{i+2}$. (There is a other case where all $a_{2j}$ and all $a_{2j+1}$ are equal. But it is clearly impossible. Because the middle will also be equal.)

So, $a_i>a_{i+1}>a_{i+2} [a_i=\frac{a_{i-1}+a_{i+1}}{2}$ and $a_i>a_{i+1} so, a_{i-1}>a_i]$.

From same logic, $a_{i-2}>a_i>a_{i+1}>a_{i+2}$.

If we continue this process, we will have $a_{i-k}>a_{i+1-k}>\cdots > a_i>a_{i+1}>a_{i+2}$. But all of them are on circle.

So, $a_i>a_i$. Contradiction. So, all of them must be equal or, $a_i=a_j$ (where $i,j \le 2000$).