It is an extra of general math on chapter 6.3
Attachments
rps20161026_075845.jpg
why I'm getting 2 answers contrary to each other
rps20161026_075845.jpg (59.4KiB)Viewed 4955 times

kh ibrahim

Re: why I'm getting 2 answers contrary to each other

Unread post by kh ibrahim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Perhaps, nobody is getting my question.In the attachment you can see I got two results but they are contrary.The theorem is sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than twice of the median drawn to the third side.Firstly, I proved that.It was AB+AC>2AD.However, interesting thing was in the second part where I proved the opposite thing which was 2AD>AB+AC.How is it possible?Does this mean that this theorem is wrong?

nahin munkar

Unread post by nahin munkar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:14 pm

kh ibrahim wrote:Perhaps, nobody is getting my question.In the attachment you can see I got two results but they are contrary.The theorem is sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than twice of the median drawn to the third side.Firstly, I proved that.It was AB+AC>2AD.However, interesting thing was in the second part where I proved the opposite thing which was 2AD>AB+AC.How is it possible?Does this mean that this theorem is wrong?
Nope, the theorem is not wrong. :) It's your little misunderstanding of the inequality section. 8-)
# Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders. ~ Carl Friedrich Gauss

nahin munkar

Unread post by nahin munkar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:30 pm

kh ibrahim wrote:Perhaps, nobody is getting my question.In the attachment you can see I got two results but they are contrary.The theorem is sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than twice of the median drawn to the third side.Firstly, I proved that.It was AB+AC>2AD.However, interesting thing was in the second part where I proved the opposite thing which was 2AD>AB+AC.How is it possible?Does this mean that this theorem is wrong?
Look, ur second result is not always true.
IF, $a$ > $b$, & $c$ > $d$ , then it is not always true that, $a-c$ > $b-d$ (that ur $2$nd result says.)
A counter-example can be stated, $(a,b,c,d)$= $(10,8,7,4)$. :) Hope this helps. :D
# Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders. ~ Carl Friedrich Gauss

kh ibrahim

Unread post by kh ibrahim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:28 pm

You said that my second result is not always true.So if it is true in some cases, then wont the theorem be wrong?