IGO 2016 Medium/3

For discussing Olympiad level Geometry Problems
Thamim Zahin
IGO 2016 Medium/3

Unread post by Thamim Zahin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:59 pm

3. Find all positive integers $N$ such that there exists a triangle which can be dissected into $N$ similar quadrilaterals.
Last edited by Thamim Zahin on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we judge talent wrong. What do we see as talent? I think I have made the same mistake myself. We judge talent by the trophies on their showcases, the flamboyance the supremacy. We don't see things like determination, courage, discipline, temperament.

Thamim Zahin

Re: IGO 2016 Mediam/3

Unread post by Thamim Zahin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:06 pm

It is possible for all integer $N \ge 3$

It is obvious that a triangle can't be partitioned in $1$ quadrilateral.

Also if we divide a triangle into $2$ quadrilaterals, one is convex but other one is not.

For $N=3$, take a equilateral triangle. And divide the triangle into $3$ congruent quadrilaterals. Like the figure. $O$ is the circumcenter. We draw $\angle OFB$ such that it is equal to $60^o$. Also same thing for $ \angle ODC $ and $ \angle OEA$.

It is easy to prove that the quadrilaterals are congruent.

Now we can make a quadrilateral $BCYX$ such that it is similar to $EOFB$. And $\angle ABX = \angle ACY = 60^o+120^o=180^o$. So that means $\triangle AXY$ is a new triangle with $5$ similar quadrilaterals. We can make this process over and over. So it is possible for all $N \ge 3$
Attachments
332.png
332.png (29.52KiB)Viewed 2540 times
I think we judge talent wrong. What do we see as talent? I think I have made the same mistake myself. We judge talent by the trophies on their showcases, the flamboyance the supremacy. We don't see things like determination, courage, discipline, temperament.