CMO 2012

For discussing Olympiad level Geometry Problems
Phlembac Adib Hasan
CMO 2012

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:12 pm

In the triangle $ABC$, $\angle A$ is biggest. On the circumcircle of $\triangle ABC$, let $D$ be the midpoint of $\displaystyle \widehat{ABC}$ and $E$ be the midpoint of $\displaystyle \widehat{ACB}$. The circle $c_1$ passes through $A,B$ and is tangent to $AC$ at $A$, the circle $c_2$ passes through $A,E$ and is tangent $AD$ at $A$. $c_1$ and $c_2$ intersect at $A$ and $P$. Prove that $AP$ bisects $\angle BAC$.

Tahmid Hasan

Re: CMO 2012

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:25 pm

বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

photon

Unread post by photon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 pm

let , $c_2$ intersects $AB$ at $X$.
$\angle PAD=\angle AEP$ , $\angle PAC=\angle PBA$ ;
$\angle PAD-\angle PAC=\angle AEP-\angle PBA\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\angle B=(\angle AXP)-(\angle AXP-\angle BPX) \Rightarrow \angle BPX= \frac{1}{2}\angle B$
$AD$ intersects $c_1$ at $D_1$.$\angle EAD_1=180^o-A-\frac{1}{2}\angle B -\frac{1}{2}\angle C$
$\Rightarrow \angle EXA=\frac{1}{2}(\angle B+\angle C)$
$\Rightarrow \angle EBX+\angle BEX=\frac{1}{2}(\angle B+\angle C)$ ; $\text{Because }\angle EBX=\angle ECA=\frac{1}{2}\angle C$
$\therefore \angle BEX=\frac{1}{2}\angle B$
finally , $\displaystyle \frac{sin\angle BEX}{BX}=\frac{sin\angle BPX}{BX} \Rightarrow \frac{sin\angle BXE}{BE}=\frac{sin\angle BXP}{BP}$
$\displaystyle \Rightarrow \frac{sin\angle BXE}{sin\angle BXP}=\frac{BE}{BP} \Rightarrow \frac{sin\angle APE}{sin\angle AEP}=\frac{BE}{BP} \Rightarrow \frac{AE}{AP}=\frac{BE}{BP}$ ;
$AP=BP ; \Rightarrow \angle PAB=\angle PBA=\angle PAC$ , $AP$ bisects that angle.

there might be typo ,my "preview" didn't show latex well :(
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.-Albert Einstein

Nadim Ul Abrar

Unread post by Nadim Ul Abrar » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I also solved this in Tahmid's way .. But at first I accidentally proved something else :p

In the $\triangle ABC$ , $\angle A$ is biggest. On the circumcircle of $\triangle ABC$ , let $D$ be the midpoint of arc$ABC$ and $E$ be the midpoint of arc$ACB$ . The circle $c_1$ passes through $A,D$ and is tangent to $AC$ at $A$ , the circle $c_2$ passes through $A,E$ and is tangent $AB$ at $A$ . $c_1$ and $c_2$ intersect at $A$ and $P$ . Prove that $AP$ bisects $\angle BAC$ .
$\frac{1}{0}$

*Mahi*

Unread post by *Mahi* » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Nadim Ul Abrar wrote:
In the $\triangle ABC$ , $\angle A$ is biggest. On the circumcircle of $\triangle ABC$ , let $D$ be the midpoint of arc$ABC$ and $E$ be the midpoint of arc$ACB$ . The circle $c_1$ passes through $A,D$ and is tangent to $AC$ at $A$ , the circle $c_2$ passes through $A,E$ and is tangent $AB$ at $A$ . $c_1$ and $c_2$ intersect at $A$ and $P$ . Prove that $AP$ bisects $\angle BAC$ .
Let $F = $ center of $c_1$ and $G =$ center of $c_2$, renaming $P$ to $H$.
As $\angle HAC = \angle ADH = \frac 12 \angle AFH$ and similarly $\angle HAB = \angle AEH = \frac 12 \angle AGH$, if we can prove that $c_1, c_2$ have equal radius, then we are done, as $AH$ is the common chord.

Now, if $I = AG \cap c_2$ other than $A$, then $\angle AIE = 90^\circ - \angle EAG = \angle BAE = \angle ABE$, so diameter of $c_2 =$ $\frac {AE} {\sin \angle AIE} = \frac {AE} {\sin \angle ABE} = 2R$, and similarly $c_1$ has the same diameter, which implies all of $c_1, c_2$ and circumcircle of $\triangle ABC$ has the same radius, which proves our claim.
Please read Forum Guide and Rules before you post.

Use $L^AT_EX$, It makes our work a lot easier!

Nur Muhammad Shafiullah | Mahi

Nadim Ul Abrar

Unread post by Nadim Ul Abrar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:28 am

*Mahi* wrote: if we can prove that $c_1, c_2$ have equal radius, then we are done.
yesss. I also used this idea .
$\frac{1}{0}$

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:44 pm

My solution is similar to Mahi vai's one. :|
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Tahmid Hasan

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:39 pm

*Mahi* wrote:
Nadim Ul Abrar wrote:
Let $F = $ center of $c_1$ and $G =$ center of $c_2$, renaming $P$ to $H$.
As $\angle HAC = \angle ADH = \frac 12 \angle AFH$ and similarly $\angle HAB = \angle AEH = \frac 12 \angle AGH$, if we can prove that $c_1, c_2$ have equal radius, then we are done, as $AH$ is the common chord.
I have a little different approach from there.
Let $r_1,r_2,r$ be the radius of $c_1,c_2,\odot ABC$ respectively.
$2r_1=\frac{AD}{\sin ABD}=2r=\frac{AE}{\sin ACE}=2r_2$.
so we are done.
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

Tahmid Hasan

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Oops, made a little mistake before; fixed it now :oops: . The new solution is similar to Mahi's now. :?
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা