China National-2013-1

For discussing Olympiad level Geometry Problems
Tahmid Hasan
China National-2013-1

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:29 am

Two circles $K_1$ and $K_2$ of different radii intersect at two points $A$ and $B$, let $C$ and $D$ be two points on $K_1$ and $K_2$, respectively, such that $A$ is the midpoint of the segment $CD$. The extension of $DB$ meets $K_1$ at another point $E$, the extension of $CB$ meets $K_2$ at another point $F$. Let $l_1$ and $l_2$ be the perpendicular bisectors of $CD$ and $EF$, respectively.
(1) Show that $l_1$ and $l_2$ have a unique common point (denoted by $P$).
(2) Prove that the lengths of $CA$, $AP$ and $PE$ are the side lengths of a right triangle.
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

Tahmid Hasan

Re: China National-2013-1

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 am

My solution:
(1). $\angle CAE=\angle AEB+\angle ADB=\angle ACB+\angle AFB=\angle DAF$. So $AP$ bisects $\angle EAF \Rightarrow P \in \odot AEF$.
$\angle EPE=180^{\circ}-\angle EAF=180^{\circ}-(180^{\circ}-\angle EAC-\angle DAF)=\angle EBC+\angle DBF=360^{\circ}-2\angle EBF$.
Hence $P$ is the circumcentre of $\triangle BEF$.
(2). $2CA^2=CA.2CA=CA(CA+DA)=CA.CD=CB.CF=CP^2-PE^2=CA^2+AP^2-PE^2$
$\Rightarrow AP^2=CA^2+PE^2$.
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

sourav das

Unread post by sourav das » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Solution: Let $K,L$ be midpoints of $BE$ and $BF$. Let $P'$ be the center of circle $BEF$. Now $CA.CD=CB.CF=CL^2-LF^2=CP'^2-P'F^2$ and $DA.DC=DE.DB=DK^2-BK^2=DP'^2-BP'^2$ using power of point. But as $CA=AD$ and $P'F=P'B$; so $CP'=P'D$ and so $P=P'$. Also, since $2CA^2=CA.CD=CL^2-LF^2=CP'^2-P'F^2=AP^2+CA^2-PE^2$ and so, $AP^2=CA^2+PE^2$ (Proved)
@Tahmid; if you include your figure that will be very helpful. Some of your arguments are confusing according to my figure.
You spin my head right round right round,
When you go down, when you go down down......
(-$from$ "$THE$ $UGLY$ $TRUTH$" )

Tahmid Hasan

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 am

sourav das wrote:@Tahmid; if you include your figure that will be very helpful. Some of your arguments are confusing according to my figure.
Actually most of the time I draw my figures by hand, that's why I don't attach figures to my solution.
But since you asked, I generated one :)
Attachments
CMO-2013-1.jpg
China National 2013-1
(Sorry for the bad resolution).
CMO-2013-1.jpg (66.73KiB)Viewed 4875 times
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm

I am a bit confused about the statement. @Tahmid vai & Sourav vai, what did you mean/realize by 'unique' for the first part? Does it mean $P$ does not depend on the choice of $CD$? I didn't found the answer and read your solutions. :ugeek: But still I am confused. Both of you showed $P$ is the circumcenter of $BEF$. My question is how does it solve the problem?

Tahmid Hasan

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Phlembac Adib Hasan wrote:I am a bit confused about the statement. @Tahmid vai & Sourav vai, what did you mean/realize by 'unique' for the first part? Does it mean $P$ does not depend on the choice of $CD$? I didn't found the answer and read your solutions. :ugeek: But still I am confused. Both of you showed $P$ is the circumcenter of $BEF$. My question is how does it solve the problem?
What you are referring to is called constant point in mathematical literature. What the question asked was to prove that $P$ is unique i.e. well-defined.
In my solution I defined $P$ two ways- (1) Midpoint of arc $EF$ in $\odot AEF$ (2) The circumcentre of $\triangle BEF$. You have to admit, that is quite well-defined. :ugeek:
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

*Mahi*

Unread post by *Mahi* » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

I think what Adib wanted to state in his post that "well defined" is not actually that much "well defined", and for this it may vary from person to person. I agree with him on that point.
Also when a question asks to prove something well defined, what should we do? Define the point as well as I can and hope for the best? It is not certainly a good thing to ask for in a problem solving contest.
Please read Forum Guide and Rules before you post.

Use $L^AT_EX$, It makes our work a lot easier!

Nur Muhammad Shafiullah | Mahi

zadid xcalibured

Unread post by zadid xcalibured » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Well,We can ensure the well definition.Let $\triangle{AEF}$ be fixed.As $AC^2=AE.AF$.So the length of $AC$ is fixed.And as $C,B,F$ and $D,B,E$ are collinear,this property forces $AC$ to be perpendicular to the angle bisector of $\angle{A}$.
By restating the problem another way we can define the point $P$ well.