Game of pool? (own)

For discussing Olympiad level Geometry Problems
nayel
Game of pool? (own)

Unread post by nayel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 pm

A frictionless rectangular table $ABCD$, where $AB=2BC$, has holes at $A,B,C,D$, and at the midpoints of $AB$ and $CD$. A ball on the table is hit from $A$ at an angle $\theta$ to $AB$; it can reflect off the boundary of $ABCD$. Find all angles $\theta$ for which the ball will eventually fall into a hole. (Think of the ball and the holes as points)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Zzzz

Re: Game of pool? (own)

Unread post by Zzzz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I will explain my solution later (Sorry... actually I don't have enough time to write it right now :( )

I just want to be sure about the solution. Is it
$\theta \in \{ \alpha : tan\ \alpha$ is rational $\}$
?
Every logical solution to a problem has its own beauty.
(Important: Please make sure that you have read about the Rules, Posting Permissions and Forum Language)

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:41 am

Yep, that's right :)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

*Mahi*

Unread post by *Mahi* » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Let us reflect the pool table along it's sides as many times needed(as I showed in the diagram).Then a ball ricocheted from the sides will be passing through the sides to a reflected pool table.
Now a ball falling in one of the holes will be a ball shot to a hole in some reflected table in the new diagram.
Now,let the side length of $AB=l$ and $BC=2l$
Let the ball fall through a hole in side $BC$ or $AD$ .Then the ball will be falling through a hole after $k$ reflections of $BC$ and $m$ reflections of $CD$.
Then the length traveled towards the '$AD$' axis is $2lm- \frac{2l} 2$
And the length traveled towards the $AB$ axis will be $lk$
So if it was shot at angle $\theta$ then $tan \theta =\frac{m-\frac 1 2} k=\frac {2m-1} {2k}$
Again let it fall through a hole in side $AB$ or $CD$ and just like above arguments let the ball be falling through a hole after $k$ reflections of $BC$ and $m$ reflections of $CD$.
Then if the angle was $\theta$ then $tan \theta = \frac {2lm} {lk- \frac l 2}=\frac {2m} {k- \frac 1 2}=\frac {4m} {2k-1}$
So if $tan \theta $ can be expressed in one of the ways shown above for natural $k,m$ then the ball shot at angle $\theta $ will fall at a hole.
(Please let me know if the solution is correct :| )
Attachments
Game of pool.png
Game of pool.png (17.87KiB)Viewed 4704 times
Please read Forum Guide and Rules before you post.

Use $L^AT_EX$, It makes our work a lot easier!

Nur Muhammad Shafiullah | Mahi

Zzzz

Unread post by Zzzz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:04 am

@Mahi.. Thanks for the diagram. I did it in same way. I skipped the calculation part of your solution. You assumed that $2AB=BC$ but the problem stated $AB=2BC$. That's not a problem. But probably you have considered holes in the middle of shorter sides. But there are holes in the middle of longer sides only.

As you said, we will reflect the table each time the ball reflects. So, we can consider all the holes as lattice points of a graph. The ball will go through a lattice point iff $tan\ \theta$ is rational.
Every logical solution to a problem has its own beauty.
(Important: Please make sure that you have read about the Rules, Posting Permissions and Forum Language)

*Mahi*

Unread post by *Mahi* » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am

Zzzz wrote:@Mahi.. Thanks for the diagram. I did it in same way. I skipped the calculation part of your solution. You assumed that $2AB=BC$ but the problem stated $AB=2BC$. That's not a problem. But probably you have considered holes in the middle of shorter sides. But there are holes in the middle of longer sides only.

As you said, we will reflect the table each time the ball reflects. So, we can consider all the holes as lattice points of a graph. The ball will go through a lattice point iff $tan\ \theta$ is rational.
Oh shit.....I think I adapted the problem as I wish.......You are right.....
:? :?
Please read Forum Guide and Rules before you post.

Use $L^AT_EX$, It makes our work a lot easier!

Nur Muhammad Shafiullah | Mahi

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 am

Good job guys :) I think this is a good way of writing up the solution formally:

We can instead think of the ball moving forever in the same direction and the table being reflected every time the ball hits one of its walls. Now as the table is reflected the holes form a square grid, which we can think of as lattice points in the $xy$-plane. Then the problem is equivalent to finding all angles $\theta$ such that if we hit the ball in the $xy$-plane from the origin at angle $\theta$ to the $x$-axis, the trajectory of the ball will pass through another lattice point. *Now prove that this is possible iff $\tan\theta$ is rational.*