Find functions R to R

For discussing Olympiad Level Algebra (and Inequality) problems
Phlembac Adib Hasan
Find functions R to R

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:37 am

Find all functions $f : \mathbb {R} \longrightarrow \mathbb {R}$ such that for all $x, y \in \mathbb {R}$, the following equation holds:\[ f \left( x y + f \left( x \right) \right) = x f \left ( y \right ) + f \left ( x \right ) \]
Welcome to BdMO Online Forum. Check out Forum Guides & Rules

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Re: Find functions R to R

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 am

Solution:
Assume $P(x,y)\Longrightarrow f \left( x y + f \left( x \right) \right) = x f \left ( y \right ) + f \left ( x \right )$
$P(0,0)\Longrightarrow f(f(0))=f(0).......(i)$
$P(x,0)\Longrightarrow f(f(x))=xf(0)+f(x)$
So if $f(0)\not =0$, then the function is injective.But then $(i)$ will imply $f(0)=0$.So a contradiction and $f(0)=0$.Hence $f(f(x))=f(x)$
$P(f(x),x)\Longrightarrow f(f(x)(x+1))=f(x)(f(x)+1).....(ii)$
$P(x,f(x))\Longrightarrow f(f(x)(x+1))=f(x)(x+1).......(iii)$
From $(ii)$ and $(iii),f(x)(f(x)+1)=f(x)(x+1)\Rightarrow f(x)=0\; or\; x\forall x\in \mathbb R$
So there are three possible functions:
1.$f(x)=x\forall x\in \mathbb R$
2.$f(x)=0\forall x\in \mathbb R$
3.$f(x)=0\; or\; x\forall x\in \mathbb R$
Clearly the first two are correct solutions.Now we'll show the third is not correct.
Let $\exists c,d$ such that $c,d\neq 0$ and $f(c)=c$ but $f(d)=0$.
$P(c,d)\Longrightarrow f(cd+c)=c$
But $f(cd+c)=0\; or\; cd+c$.None of these is equal to RHS.So a contradiction and we are done.

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:18 am

All the substitutions are in the main equation.
:arrow: Set $x=y=0$. Then $f(f(0))=f(0)$.
:arrow: Set $y=0$. Then $f(f(x))=xf(0)+f(x)$. Now if $f(0)\ne 0$, then $f(x)$ is injective, which would imply $f(0)=0$. This contradiction implies that $f(0)=0,f(f(x))=f(x)$.
:arrow: Set $x=f(x),y=x$. Then $f(f(x)x+f(f(x)))=f(f(x)x+f(x))=f(x)^{2}+f(f(x))=f(x)^{2}+f(x)$
:arrow: Set $y=f(x)$. Then $f(xf(x)+f(x))=xf(f(x))+f(x)=xf(x)+f(x)$
:idea: From the last two,we have that $f(x)^{2}=xf(x)$. So the possible solutions are:
:arrow: $f(x)=x \forall x\in \mathbb{R}$
:arrow: $f(x)=0 \forall x\in \mathbb{R}$
:arrow: $f(x)=0$ for some $x\in \mathbb{R}$ and $f(x)=x$ for the others.
The first two can be checked easily. For the third,to prove it not to be a solution,take $a,b\in \mathbb{R}$ such that $f(a)=a,f(b)=0$. Then substituting $x=c,y=d$ yields that $f(cd+c)=c$. But from our assumption it should have been $0$ or $cd+c$. This contradiction finishes the solution.
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm

SANZEED wrote:All the substitutions are in the main equation.
:arrow: Set $y=0$. Then $f(f(x))=xf(0)+f(x)$. Now if $f(0)\ne 0$, then $f(x)$ is injective, which would imply $f(0)=0$. This contradiction implies that $f(0)=0,f(f(x))=f(x)$.
:arrow: Set $x=f(x),y=x$. Then $f(f(x)x+f(f(x)))=f(f(x)x+f(x))=f(x)^{2}+f(f(x))=f(x)^{2}+f(x)$
:idea: From the last two,we have that $f(x)^{2}=xf(x)$. So the possible solutions are:
The first two can be checked easily. For the third,to prove it not to be a solution,take $a,b\in \mathbb{R}$ such that $f(a)=a,f(b)=0$. Then substituting $x=c,y=d$ yields that $f(cd+c)=c$. But from our assumption it should have been $0$ or $cd+c$. This contradiction finishes the solution.
See my solution.Is it necessary to re-post it?
Welcome to BdMO Online Forum. Check out Forum Guides & Rules

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Sorry,but I didn't see your solution. If I had,I wouldn't have re-posted it. :oops: :oops:
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

sourav das

Unread post by sourav das » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 am

Phlembac Adib Hasan wrote:
SANZEED wrote:All the substitutions are in the main equation.
See my solution.Is it necessary to re-post it?
Adib, Don't discourage anyone to re-post same solution in a different way. Because still it may give us some interesting thought or may have some faults. Everyone in this forum is trying to learn. So from me, SANZEED, Don't be shy. Re-post if you need to...
You spin my head right round right round,
When you go down, when you go down down......
(-$from$ "$THE$ $UGLY$ $TRUTH$" )