Microscopes & telescopes

Discuss Physics and Physics Olympiad related problems here
SANZEED
Microscopes & telescopes

Unread post by SANZEED » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:02 am

If the passing of light is immediate, what effect will it have on microscopes,telescopes,binoculars,in a word those which magnify things? :?: :?:
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Re: Microscopes & telescopes

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:49 am

SANZEED wrote:If the passing of light is immediate, what effect will it have on microscopes,telescopes,binoculars,in a word those which magnify things? :?: :?:
What did you mean? I didn't get it.
Welcome to BdMO Online Forum. Check out Forum Guides & Rules

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 pm

I am giving an example: sunlight needs $8.5$ mins to reach the earth. What if it needed no time?
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:19 pm

If something has infinite speed than it's existence would not make any sense.

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:29 pm

No,no! I was telling that if it stretched immediately, and if we are ignoring the time stretching or theory of relativity,then what will be the result?

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:38 pm

If it does not need time to travel than it's speed is infinite. Then it's existence would not be anyhting physical, because it will be everywhere at the same time and will never change. It will become just a background.

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

SANZEED wrote:No,no! I was telling that if it stretched immediately, and if we are ignoring the time stretching or theory of relativity,then what will be the result?
My question, how is it possible?Light's speed is fixed.And I also agree with Tanvir Vaia.It's possible only in the imagination.
Welcome to BdMO Online Forum. Check out Forum Guides & Rules

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Sorry, but I was only talking of "If it was...", and I have understood it.

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:46 pm

In fact one of the earliest proof of finite speed of light was the fact that the sky is dark. If the speed of light was infinite then there would be no such thing as darkness, because light will be everywhere all the time. If that was the case then light would be just like darkness. There wold be nothing to see in it, learn from it or do with it because it will never change. If something is everywhere and it never changes then there is no way for us to feel it's existence.