question regarding gravitaion

Discuss Physics and Physics Olympiad related problems here
arnob54
question regarding gravitaion

Unread post by arnob54 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

say a satellite is moving in elliptical path instead of circular around the earth. will the astronaut present inside it feel weightless when the satellite is at the ends of the major axis? prove your claim.
Tanveer

tarek like math

Re: question regarding gravitaion

Unread post by tarek like math » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:35 pm

centrifugal force and attraction of world is equal so force of gravity should not be felt. i think in from every point of it's eleptical course world is in same direction in below position. so my opinion astronaut will feel weightless. please reply ur opinion.

rakeen

Unread post by rakeen » Sun May 22, 2011 10:54 am

the thing is that, you can't orbit a satelite elliptically arround earth unless it is given force by outside agent(not earth). And if it does, then
the satellite should(according to me) move in a specific velocity,speed all the round. BTW astronauts don't stay in "Satelite"!
Actually I'm not also sure about this matter :DDD but yes the satellite have to change its dirrection and velocity/speed manually.
let's c if someone helps us or not.
r@k€€/|/

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 am

You can have elliptical orbits, in fact most orbits are elliptical (although they might very close to a circle). The speed does not need to be constant either. In a elliptical orbit the speed changes periodically.