Specificity!

For discussion on Biology
NaziaC
Specificity!

Unread post by NaziaC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello guys!
When you're asking questions on biology, please try to be specific.
Questions like, "Tell me everything about stem cells." is a bit(!) broad & difficult to explain.
What you can do instead, is to do some bed-time light reading (No I'm not being sarcastic ;) ) on stem cells & then come up with specific questions like "Why do we collect stem cells from bone marrow if they are present almost everywhere in human body?" (may be?!)
Thanks!
"Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas."

nayel

Re: Specificity!

Unread post by nayel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

In that case just post a link to Wikipedia or something, like I do :P I have no idea why people post such things when there's Google and Wikipedia
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Mohaimin

Unread post by Mohaimin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 am

nayel wrote:In that case just post a link to Wikipedia or something, like I do :P I have no idea why people post such things when there's Google and Wikipedia
I have the same question too!!!

Abhijeet Dutta

Unread post by Abhijeet Dutta » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 am

well guys probably discussion is better at times rather just a link of unanimous knowledge
yup everything is a bit too boring question more specific could have been directed to a certain point
I'm dearely sorry if that's being done by me unconditionally
Yup Nazia as you said it too(I was thinking too) that they're present almost everywhere in human body then how they manifest their work to help us detect them except embryonic ones I mean how we observe their activity to assume their properties in ADULT TISSUES in general as you said in Bone marrow case (By the way I read about bone marrow case) I have no idea but Wiki or other some sites just say how the're stem cell
There I'm in delima that in adult tissues all the cells are quite alike so finding out the stems is a tricky one
if u clarify anything on the point will be nice
Shout aloud scream aloud let me hear you go

NaziaC

Unread post by NaziaC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 am

I guess, this is your question:
What tests are used for identifying adult stem cells?

Here goes the answer :):

Scientists often use one or more of the following methods to identify adult stem cells: (1) label the cells in a living tissue with molecular markers and then determine the specialized cell types they generate; (2) remove the cells from a living animal, label them in cell culture, and transplant them back into another animal to determine whether the cells replace (or "repopulate") their tissue of origin.

Importantly, it must be demonstrated that a single adult stem cell can generate a line of genetically identical cells that then gives rise to all the appropriate differentiated cell types of the tissue. To confirm experimentally that a putative adult stem cell is indeed a stem cell, scientists tend to show either that the cell can give rise to these genetically identical cells in culture, and/or that a purified population of these candidate stem cells can repopulate or reform the tissue after transplant into an animal.
"Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas."

Abhijeet Dutta

Unread post by Abhijeet Dutta » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 am

So, if stem cell can generate all kinds of blood cells then do they follow the same process like Nerve activity where new nerve cells produced from the stem cells take the place of the old/damaged ones?

http://www.kurzweilai.net/nerve-cell-ac ... ping-brain
Shout aloud scream aloud let me hear you go