The affect of the space weather

For Astronomy lovers who would love to discuss about celestial objects.
bear77
The affect of the space weather

Unread post by bear77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Does space weather affect the space crafts` launches and do scientists check it before space crafts go to space?
I know there is sach fact like a space turbulence and it can influence on a space craft, but can space weather?

Mehrab4226

Re: The affect of the space weather

Unread post by Mehrab4226 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Short Answer is yes. Space weather does affect space crafts. And probably scientists check it before sending space crafts to space. But I have heard that it is really difficult to predict space weather so I am not sure how influential the "scientist's check" is. For example space weather like a solar storm does affect the electricity on earth. So shouldn't it affect electricity in space? In my opinion, it should. For more on the topic go to the NASA website. I am not an expert in space things.
The Mathematician does not study math because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
-Henri Poincaré

bear77

Re: The affect of the space weather

Unread post by bear77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Mehrab4226 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Short Answer is yes. Space weather does affect space crafts. And probably scientists check it before sending space crafts to space. But I have heard that it is really difficult to predict space weather so I am not sure how influential the "scientist's check" is. For example space weather like a solar storm does affect the electricity on earth. So shouldn't it affect electricity in space? In my opinion, it should. For more on the topic go to the NASA website. I am not an expert in space things.
According to the information I`ve found, I'd guess that something like a period with a strong solar storm would seem to be a poor choice for a launch window since it affects if not the craft, at least the ability to track/communicate with the craft.
Space Weather is forecast with a combination of:
- Theoretical/computer modeling (eg of the Sun's 11 year sunspot cycle)
- Ground-based observations
- Satellite based observations