The journey to the red planet

For Astronomy lovers who would love to discuss about celestial objects.
bear77
The journey to the red planet

Unread post by bear77 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Does humanity actually need Mars colonization? Elon Musk and Space X invest a lot of resources in Starship and Mars colonization. But as most people know the journey to this planet is not a piece of cake and it is rather dangerous for the crew of the spacecraft. Also, they did not figure out how to solve the fuel issue to get to the red planet and bring the crew back. ( Not even mentioning the harsh environment of the red planet. To prepare the crew for it will be very costly to invent special suits or capsules )

Mehrab4226

Re: The journey to the red planet

Unread post by Mehrab4226 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 pm

We don't always do things that are needed. We do things because we can do it. There is a branch of mathematics called pure mathematics, which as you know has no application in the real world. In other words, we don't actually need pure mathematics. But still, pure mathematics is being flourished even now. We may not actually need to go to Mars but we may be able to pull this off. That is the main keyword here.

Again Mars can be a place for immense resources like metals. I don't think we(humans) have even collected samples from mars. We just probably sent few cameras to see what is there. By mars we may also be able to understand the universe even more.
The Mathematician does not study math because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
-Henri Poincaré

bear77

Unread post by bear77 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Mehrab4226 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 pm
We don't always do things that are needed. We do things because we can do it. There is a branch of mathematics called pure mathematics, which as you know has no application in the real world. In other words, we don't actually need pure mathematics. But still, pure mathematics is being flourished even now. We may not actually need to go to Mars but we may be able to pull this off. That is the main keyword here.

Again Mars can be a place for immense resources like metals. I don't think we(humans) have even collected samples from mars. We just probably sent few cameras to see what is there. By mars we may also be able to understand the universe even more.
I agree that to expand our knowelage about our Universe and the Solar system, we need to go to the red planet. I mean crewed mission. But I have some doubts that we can do that now or in this decade like Musk claims. We still need to figure out a lot of stuff.

Mehrab4226

Unread post by Mehrab4226 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:07 pm

I have a picture for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 16.40.02-min.png
Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 16.40.02-min.png (344.46KiB)Viewed 8018 times
The Mathematician does not study math because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
-Henri Poincaré