BdMO Regional 2021 Secondary P5

Forum rules
Please don't post problems (by starting a topic) in the "X: Solved" forums. Those forums are only for showcasing the problems for the convenience of the users. You can always post the problems in the main Divisional Math Olympiad forum. Later we shall move that topic with proper formatting, and post in the resource section.
Pro_GRMR
BdMO Regional 2021 Secondary P5

Unread post by Pro_GRMR » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 am

The factor mean of a positive integer $n$ is equal to the geometric mean of its (positive) factors. If the number of positive integers $n$ whose factor mean is not greater than $34$ is $N$, then what is $N$?
Other variations contained $32$, $33$, or other values instead of $34$.
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." - Max Planck

Pro_GRMR

Re: BdMO Regional 2021 Secondary P5

Unread post by Pro_GRMR » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 am

Pro_GRMR wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 am
The factor mean of a positive integer $n$ is equal to the geometric mean of its (positive) factors. If the number of positive integers $n$ whose factor mean is not greater than $34$ is $N$, then what is $N$?
Other variations contained $32$, $33$, or other values instead of $34$.
The process is similar using any of the values.

We know that the geometric mean of $k$ numbers $a_1, a_2, a_3, \dots, a_k$ is $\sqrt[^k]{a_1a_2 a_3\dots a_k}$.

Let's assume the number $n$ has $k$ factors $a_1, a_2, a_3, \dots, a_k$ where $a_{i-1} < a_i$.
If $n$ is not a perfect square, we can pair up its factors into groups and multiply $a_i$ and $a_{k+1-i}$ to get $n$ ($\overbrace{a_1a_k}^{n}\overbrace{a_2a_{k-1}}^{n}\dots\overbrace{a_\frac{k}{2}a_{\frac{k}{2}+1}}^{n}$). We will get $\frac{k}{2}$ such $n$.
Multiplying all of them we get $a_1a_2 a_3\dots a_k =\overbrace{a_1a_k}^{n}\overbrace{a_2a_{k-1}}^{n}\dots\overbrace{a_\frac{k}{2}a_{\frac{k}{2}+1}}^{n}= n^{\frac{k}{2}}$. We will get the same result even if $n$ is a perfect square.(Why?)
So, the factor mean of $n$ is $\sqrt[^k]{a_1a_2 a_3\dots a_k} = \sqrt[^k]{n^{\frac{k}{2}}} = \sqrt{n}$

According to the question:
$\sqrt{n} \leq 34$
$\Longrightarrow n \leq 34^2$
$\Longrightarrow n \leq 1156$
As $n$ is a positive number, there are a total of $\boxed{1156}$ possible values of $n$.
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." - Max Planck